It’s hard enough to perfect my makeup when I’m sitting at a desk and I have an hour to get ready before classes. Sometimes doing my makeup on the go can be tricky. Here are my must-haves and go-to’s when it comes to traveling! (Every liquid I bring can fit into a quart-sized bag for air travel!)
- Foundation – Depending on the season there are two different foundations I’ll bring with me. In the summer I opt for a BB Cream because it’s lighter and less maintenance, especially on days I know I’ll be out in the sun. I like the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream because it hydrates my skin and has SPF 30! In the Winter I like to use the Clinique Stay Matte Foundation. It provides amazing coverage and keeps me from getting shiny throughout the day.
- Tip: Because all skin types are different, make sure to pick up a foundation that’s going to work best for you! Something to always remember is the packaging. Both of these foundations are great and they come in tubes instead of bottles so they are lighter and more compact for traveling.
- Concealer – This is really important! After many hours of flying I will dab some concealer under my eyes to cover up dark circles and to freshen up so I don’t look tired. Also, some days I’ll opt for a little concealer around the nose, chin and under eyes instead of using a full face of foundation. My go-to is the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer. It’s cheap and blends in very nicely.
- Tip: Concealer is a product I use almost every day, and it comes in a small tube, so it runs out quickly! Save your money and buy drug store concealers. You can opt for more expensive foundations & primers because they last longer.
- Bronzer – I love using bronzer around the edges of my face because it warms up the skin. In the summer I tend to skip this step because I have so much of a tan! My favorite bronzer is the Hoola Matte Bronzer by Benefit. Another great, cheaper option is the Butter Bronzer by Physician’s Formula.
- Tip: I will often brush this over my cheeks and skip the blush. This adds enough life and contour into my skin that I find I don’t need anything else!
- Highlight – This is my favorite beauty product! I love glowing and I feel complete once I dust some highlight over my cheekbones. The best highlighters I’ve ever used are from Colourpop. They are so inexpensive, and the lids twist on and off which makes it great for traveling! My favorite highlights are Flexitarian and Butterfly Beach. They have so many different shades and colors that there is something for everyone!
- Tip: Colourpop formulas are unique in that you can apply it with a brush or with your fingers. So if you’re crunched for space, don’t worry! A few dabs with your ring finger and you’ll glow all day long!
- Shadow Primer – I always start with a primer on my lids before I apply any shadow. This blocks oil and keeps your eyeshadow in place all day long. My favorite is the Too Faced Shadow Insurance.
- Tip: Sometimes eyeshadow pallets, like the Lorac PRO, will come with primer!
- Eye Shadow – I always opt to bring a palette with me because it’s the most convenient way to bring multiple shadows. My favorite is the Lorac PRO collection. The eye shadows blend really well and don’t have a lot of fall out, and the palettes give you a lot of options because they come with eight matte and eight shimmer shades. Other palettes I love include the Too Faced Natural Eyes palette because it is very compact, and the Kat Von D Shade & Light Palette because it is sturdy and has so many matte shadows. All of these palettes are very wearable, every day palettes.
- Tip: Finding eyeshadow brushes that are dual-ended are great for traveling because it cuts down on the number of brushes you have to bring with you!
- Mascara – Traveling is not the time to whip out the high-end mascara. It is so easy to misplace mascara tubes that you should always travel with drug store options. My favorite is the L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black mascara. It is dark and really thickens my lashes, and it doesn’t clump or flake off throughout the day.
- Tip: e.l.f. has a $2 eyelash curler if you want any extra lift to your lashes! It’s great for curling your lashes, and it doesn’t matter if it gets misplaced because it’s so cheap.
- Setting Spray – I always like to set my makeup so I know it will last all day! I prefer the Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day setting sprays. There are a few different scents, but my personal favorite is the Green Tea. It’s refreshing on my skin and I love the scent!
- Tip: They have full-size and travel-size bottles! I originally purchased a travel-size, and then once I used it all I purchased a full size, and I just transfer it into the smaller bottle to travel.
There you have it! Some days I’ll use every product mentioned above, and other days I might only dab on some concealer and mascara. It all depends on my mood, my location, and the activities I have planned for the day. Stay beautiful!