Let’s be honest – flying is draining. From the early morning departures to the crowded aisles, it’s hard to feel fresh when you step off the plane – especially on long-haul flights! After flying from Philadelphia to Athens there was nothing more that I wanted than a shower and a nap. Even after domestic flights I still want to feel clean and ready to take on the day. Here are my tips for what you should bring in your carry-on to feel good while you travel.
One of the most important things to remember when purchasing luggage is to buy pieces that are easily recognizable. This goes with carry-on bags as well! If you’re in the first row of seats, your bag must be stowed in the overhead bin. It’s much easier to identify when you have a magenta bag versus a black bag.
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste – Nothing feels better after landing than brushing your teeth. It’s the best way to start your day.
- Hairbrush / Comb – Keep the tangles at bay so your hair looks smooth & shiny. I always feel better when I’m having a good hair day!
- Deodorant – This is another item you can touch-up with just before your flight lands, or right after landing.
- Baby Wipes – You can wipe off your face and your body for a quick refresher!
- Hand Sanitizer – Planes are not the cleanest surfaces, so it’s important to stay on top of the germs. Just be careful because it can dry out your skin.
- Moisturizer – Bring a travel tube of moisturizer for your hands. The altitude can really dry out your skin, and you’ll feel much better after applying some during your flight.
- Rose Water – Mario Badescu’s Facial Spray with Rose Water is a miracle worker. It comes in a travel size and is perfect for spritzing on tired skin. It’s hydrating and refreshing, and I find myself using it every day.
- BB Cream – I almost never put on makeup before I fly, but once I land I want to be prepared for the day. A light BB Cream can be applied with your hands and will even out redness or tired skin. You’ll look and feel better stepping off the plane.
- Chapstick – There is nothing worse than have dry lips at 35,000 feet. Always be prepared with a little hydration!
- Always Dailies Liners – It’s always a good idea to have these on hand, especially on long flights. They cancel out odors and they’ll make you feel totally clean even after a 12 hour day of traveling.
- Cleansing Cloths – These are some of my favorite products. You can buy them individually wrapped and just toss one in your bag. They have light, fresh scents and are the perfect pick-me-up after any long flight.
Some other things you can pack that aren’t necessary but might be a good addition if you have room:
- Fuzzy Socks – These bring me so much comfort! Especially on long flights, you have to remember to take care of your feet. The altitude can affect your circulation, so pay attention to the shoes you wear.
- Change of Clothes – If your luggage gets lost or you spill tea on your blouse, it’s always a good idea to have extra clothes in your carry-on. As well, planes can get chilly so packing a sweater will keep you more comfortable during your flight.
- Ear Plugs / Noise Cancelling Headphones – There is nothing I’ve been more thankful for than my Beat Headphones when I was on a plane with small children. Noise on airplanes is something that can’t be avoided – the plane itself is noisy. This is the best way to get comfortable enough to sleep or read.
- Entertainment – I always bring a book so I don’t have to rely on in-flight entertainment. You can also download movies to your laptop or tablet.
- Reusable Water Bottle – Water bottles at the airport are so expensive. Bring a bottle you can fill up at a water fountain for free.